Saturday, August 5, 2017

Everything is fine, we are in Prague

In case you didn't know I love traveling. I literally adore traveling, if could live traveling, I will the happiest human ever. Last year I had the chance to go to World Youth Day in Krakow, and of course if I was in Europe we were going to explore more of the continent. Now, I want to share with you my experiences in all of this countries and cities.
Por si no sabían, me encanta viajar. Literalmente adoro viajar. Si pudiese vivir viajando sería el ser humano más feliz del planeta. El año pasado, tuve la oportunidad de ir a la Jornada Mundial de la Juventud en Cracovia y por supuesto si ya estaba en Europa íbamos a explorar más del continente. Ahora, quiero compartir con ustedes mi experiencia en estos países y ciudades.



The first stop was Prague, Czech Republic. I have never heard much about this town except for the fact that Franz Kafka had live there (I’m a nerd ok). So when I got there I had no idea what to expect. In no way did I expect to watch all the bags go by and everyone get theirs while I just stood there, sending snaps joking how my bag was missing. Yes, I jinxed it. So, there I was, first time in Europe with only a small bag with a pair of loose pants, leggings and a thin sweatshirt in a country where few people spoke English.
La primera parada fue Praga, República Checa. Nunca escuche mucho sobre está ciudad excepto que Franz Kafka vivió acá (si si, soy una nerd). Entonces cuando llegue ahí no tenia idea que esperar. De ninguna manera pensaba que iba a estar mirando cómo pasaban las valijas y todos agarraban la suya mientras yo me paraba ahí, y mandaba snaps haciendo chiste de que como la mía se había perdido. Entonces, ahí estaba por primera vez en Europa con una bolso pequeño con un par de pantalones sueltos, unas calzas y una remera en un país donde pocos eran los que hablaban inglés.
I  learned here my biggest traveling lessons: ALWAYS talk to your traveling insurance (always hire one), they know what to do and the next day your bag would magically show up (s/o: to the lovely people at American Express).
Acá fue donde aprendí la lección de viajera más importante: siempre habla con tu seguro de viaje (siempre contraten uno), saben que hacer y al día siguiente la valija va a estar mágicamente en el hotel (Gracias American Express).



I tried not to let this ruin my days in Prague (I did end up crying one night out of frustration). Once we left our stuff in the hotel (ha ha ha) we went to walk around town since  Prague is the kind of city where you just walk around, the city is beautiful and it does look like a little fairy tale. We walked around Old Town where the streets are really narrow and the buildings are old and beautiful, until we get to the Astronomical Clock, a clock installed in 1410 and every hour the figures of apostles appear in the windows and some sculptures begin to move. But I have to be honest here, it is really hard to see since there are a lot of people, so unless you are really tall, you want to arrive early.
Trate de que esto no me arruine mis días en Praga (un día terminé llorando a la noche de la frustración). Una vez que dejamos las cosas en el hotel (ha ha ha ha) fuimos a caminar por la ciudad, ya que Praga es la ciudad donde caminar es suficiente. La ciudad es linda y realmente parece de un cuento de hadas. Caminamos por la Ciudad Vieja donde las calles son angostas y los edificios antiguos y muy lindos, hasta que llegamos al Reloj Astronómico, un reloj instalado en 1410 y que en cada hora aparecen las figuras de los apóstoles en las ventas y otras esculturas se mueven. Pero si tengo que ser honesta acá, fue difícil ver ya que estaba lleno de gente, entonces salvo que seas muy alto, traten de llegar temprano.





As we continue walking we arrived to the Vltava river, which is the river that goes all along Prague. We decided to stop for a bit and sat by the river to just relax but after a while the rain got to us, and we were really far away from the hotel, so we went back to the hotel in the pouring rain. But how can you complain about rain when you are in a city this beautiful?
Continuamos caminando y llegamos al río Vltava, el río que cruza todo Praga. Paramos ahí y nos sentamos en la orilla del río para relajarnos hasta que nos agarro la lluvia y nos dimos cuenta que estábamos bastante lejos del hotel. Decidimos volver bajo la lluvia, pero ¿quién se puede quejar de la lluvia cuando estas en una ciudad como Praga?








The next day we woke up to a cloudy Prague, but we still decided to make the most of it. (My bag hadn't arrived yet but I did buy clothes). Our first stop was the Prague Castle, which is in a pretty high hike from where we were staying. As you walk you get a beautiful view of the city, so it's not that painful to walk even in the hot and humid summer days. The castle has a baroque style which I adore and if you are into architecture, you’ll love the city. Also, in the same hike you’ll find the Saint Vitus Cathedral where we saw a couple getting engaged while MANY people watch.
El día siguiente nos despertamos con Praga todavía nublado, pero igual decidimos disfrutar del día (mi valija todavía no llegaba pero me había comprado ropa). Nuestra primera parada fue el castillo de Praga, el camino hasta allí es bastante alto pero al tener la hermosa vista de la ciudad casi ni se siente. El castillo tiene un estilo barroco que me encanta y si te gusta la arquitectura está ciudad te va a encantar. Además en la misma caminata te cruzas con la Catedral de Saint Vitus, donde vimos una pareja comprometiéndose enfrente de mucha gente.




On our way back we decided to take a route where we were crossing the Charles Bridge which is the most famous bridge in Prague and is protected by three towers, one considered the most astonish gothic style building.
En la ruta de vuelta decidimos volver cruzando el Puente Carlos el cual es el más famoso de Praga y está protegido por tres torres, una de ella considerada el más sorprendente edificio de estilo gótico.






Later, we stopped at the John Lennon Wall, a wall fill with graffiti and peace inspired art, for someone who loves street art (it's coming to you really soon), I was in love. The place was packed with people writing their peace messages, and it was truly beautiful. I watched as a British girl wrote “real brits love Europe” and as people from all over the world listen to a man perform different The Beatles songs. It was truly magical.
Luego, paramos en el mural de John Lennon, una parada llena de graffiti y de arte inspirado en la paz, para alguien que ama el arte callejero (ya viene), estaba enamorada. El lugar estaba lleno de gente escribiendo mensajes de paz y es realmente lindo. Vi cómo una chica británica escribió “los verdaderos británicos aman Europa” y cómo la gente de todo el mundo escuchaban un hombre cantar canciones de los Beatles. Realmente mágico.





While some of the people in our group were tired, some of us decided to go and see the Dancing house, which is a modern piece of architecture completely different than the usual Gothic style Prague has. Someone told us we should go inside and go to the top floor where a bar is located, and I’m so happy we did. Once we were there we got a beautiful view of the town and this time we could see the Castle and the river. Truly beautiful. While there I got wifi and I found out my bag was in my hotel, so of course I ran back to get reunited with my clothes and everything.
Mientras parte de nuestro grupo estaba cansado y decidieron volver, yo elegí ir con el grupo que iba a ver la casa bailante, un edificio de arquitectura moderna que contrasta completamente con el estilo gótico de Praga. Alguien nos sugirió que subamos al piso más alto, donde hay un bar y una vista increíble de la ciudad. Desde este punto de vista podíamos ver el castillo y el río. Realmente hermoso. Mientras estaba ahí, conseguí wifi y me entere que mi valija había vuelto, por supuesto que corrí de vuelta a reencontrarme con mis cosas.


I hope you enjoy this little guide and diary about Prague. I really hope I can talk about other cities I like more and I might do a separate post about all the foods in the different countries.
Espero que les haya gustado está pequeña guía y diario de Praga. Espero realmente que pueda seguir hablando de la ciudad que me gustaron y hasta hacer un post separado sobre la comida.

Have you ever been to Prague? What did you enjoy about it?
Love

Pili

No comments:

Post a Comment